The Racquet Club of Philadelphia preserves history while reducing costs by 25% with Ecosave's retrofitted upgrades
Stepping through the entrance doors of The Racquet Club of Philadelphia is like being transported to another era. Instantly surrounded by stately architecture and furnishings, it is clear this iconic building has gone to great lengths in preserving its history. Perhaps less obvious are the ways in which it has deployed advanced technologies to operate its systems efficiently while providing comfort and reliability to its many members.
Incorporated in 1889 to offer multi-generational members a place to foster camaraderie through athletic competition and social gathering, The Racquet Club of Philadelphia (RCOP) is located in the heart of Center City. Built in 1907, this Georgian Revival-style clubhouse was designed by famed architect Horace Trumbauer and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
In an effort to improve the building’s sustainable performance and reduce operating expenses, RCOP engaged Ecosave to uncover energy savings by implementing an extensive building retrofit that could be paid for out of the savings. This model – the Ecosave Services Agreement – allowed for lighting, HVAC and building automation upgrades that would generate enough savings year-on-year such that RCOP would remain cash flow positive while avoiding the need for capital outlay or debt. Project implementation was planned and executed keeping in mind both clubhouse scheduling and the strict guidelines of the National Register of Historic Places.
SolutionsEcosave Services, Energy Efficiency, Smart Buildings & EcosaveWatch
- Installation of wireless thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) and thermostats to control steam radiators, including steam trap surveys, ongoing maintenance and trap replacement
- Chilled water pump replacement and variable frequency drive (VFD) installation to match output with demand, reducing waste
- Chiller optimization and maintenance
- Chiller, air handling unit (AHU), steam valve, and chilled water pump controls via building automation systems (BAS)
- Utility management services delivered through EcosaveWatch for the duration of the Service Period
- Real-time consumption monitoring and semi-annual reporting via EcosaveWatch backed by a dedicated engineering team for the duration of the Service Period
- Preventative maintenance on steam radiators and chiller condenser coils